Monitor this thread via RSS [?]

Author Thread Statistics | Show CCP posts - 25 post(s)
rowbin hod
rowbin hod

Take me to the EVE-Online forum thread View author posting habits View only posts by author
Posted - 2005.10.12 16:18:00 - [1]

So this morning I was checking up on the Eve news, when I saw this bit about the storage server. I had a look at the website, and it does indeed look like and insanely hardcore piece of kit.

Bit later on today I was at the Storage Expo at Olympia in London. I'm walking around, drooling at all the kit, pretending that my company can actually afford any of it Wink when what do I spy? It's none other than CCP's latest hardware purchase being demoed. It's hooked up to a monitor and running IOMeter, with a nice dial showing how many IOs per second it's doing - it was off the scale Twisted Evil

I talk to the guy at the stand, tell him I was just reading about his piece of kit this morning, because an online game that I play is going to be introducing one. He asks what the game is. I say it's Eve and the company is CCP. He goes "ah right, that's those crazy guys in Iceland, right?".

'nuff said Wink
rowbin hod
rowbin hod
Brutor tribe

Take me to the EVE-Online forum thread View author posting habits View only posts by author
Posted - 2005.10.12 16:18:00 - [2]

So this morning I was checking up on the Eve news, when I saw this bit about the storage server. I had a look at the website, and it does indeed look like and insanely hardcore piece of kit.

Bit later on today I was at the Storage Expo at Olympia in London. I'm walking around, drooling at all the kit, pretending that my company can actually afford any of it Wink when what do I spy? It's none other than CCP's latest hardware purchase being demoed. It's hooked up to a monitor and running IOMeter, with a nice dial showing how many IOs per second it's doing - it was off the scale Twisted Evil

I talk to the guy at the stand, tell him I was just reading about his piece of kit this morning, because an online game that I play is going to be introducing one. He asks what the game is. I say it's Eve and the company is CCP. He goes "ah right, that's those crazy guys in Iceland, right?".

'nuff said Wink
rowbin hod
rowbin hod

Posted - 2005.10.15 11:17:00 - [3]

Originally by: Drogos
Is 128GB enough to hold the entire database, or is this going to be used in a caching setup?

The latter seems more likely, as I can't see 128GB being enough to hold all the information accumulated by ~75,000 subscribers, in ~5000 star systems, with millions upon millons of little bits of data representing assets.

Anyone from CCP care to comment?

Reading the bumff on this, it seems that you can port some of you database across to it, the tables which are the most hard hit. The impression I got was that instead of just being a solid state hard disk, it was actually designed with this sort of role in mind, offloading the hardest hit parts of a database onto solid state storage for much faster IOs.
rowbin hod
rowbin hod
Brutor tribe

Posted - 2005.10.15 11:17:00 - [4]

Is 128GB enough to hold the entire database, or is this going to be used in a caching setup?

The latter seems more likely, as I can't see 128GB being enough to hold all the information accumulated by ~75,000 subscribers, in ~5000 star systems, with millions upon millons of little bits of data representing assets.

Reading the bumff on this, it seems that you can port some of you database across to it, the tables which are the most hard hit. The impression I got was that instead of just being a solid state hard disk, it was actually designed with this sort of role in mind, offloading the hardest hit parts of a database onto solid state storage for much faster IOs.
rowbin hod
rowbin hod
Brutor tribe

Posted - 2005.10.15 11:17:00 - [5]

Copyright © 2006-2024, Chribba - OMG Labs. All Rights Reserved. - perf 0,07s, ref 20240607/1738
EVE-Online™ and Eve imagery © CCP.

bitcoin: 1CHRiBBArqpw5Yz7x5KS2RRtN5ubEn5gF

COPYRIGHT NOTICE
EVE Online, the EVE logo, EVE and all associated logos and designs are the intellectual property of CCP hf. All artwork, screenshots, characters, vehicles, storylines, world facts or other recognizable features of the intellectual property relating to these trademarks are likewise the intellectual property of CCP hf. EVE Online and the EVE logo are the registered trademarks of CCP hf. All rights are reserved worldwide. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners. CCP hf. has granted permission to EVE-Search.com to use EVE Online and all associated logos and designs for promotional and information purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not in any way affiliated with, EVE-Search.com. CCP is in no way responsible for the content on or functioning of this website, nor can it be liable for any damage arising from the use of this website.